Are you ready for a rant? I hope so.
Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, legislation has failed to pass in several different states. What the hell?! Why on earth would anyone be against CBDs?
The only reason I could think of that people would be against cannabidiol is because they are uneducated about them. Fair enough. Well, let me lay down a little bit of knowledge for anyone who is unfamiliar with CBD.
- Cannabidiol is found in cannabis.
- Certain strains have been developed to be exceptionally rich in Cannabidiol.
- It will not get you high. No shit? No shit. If you’re planning on getting high then you should look into THC, because CBDs won’t create the effect you’re looking for.
- Cannabidiol may actually counteract some of the effects of THC.
- CBDs have astounding medical benefits. It has shown to be effective for seizures, anxiety, inflammatory disorders, cancer, and a whole shit load of other serious conditions.
- CBDs do not have to be smoked. They can also be made into an oil and ingested.
- You can’t overdose on CBDs. Case closed.
So, you mean to tell me there is a medication that occurs naturally, won’t get you high, and you can’t overdose? This medication could save thousands of lives, and it’s illegal? How fail is that?
I Fought the Law and the Law Won
I personally would like to see cannabis legalized nationally for recreation, but that isn’t what this post is about. It’s about people dying because lawmakers can’t get their shit together.
I feel like I’ve been abusing the shit word. I’m gonna take it down a notch. I swear.
The truth is, public opinion isn’t the only obstacle for cannabidiol. The laws themselves are stacked against legalizing medical marijuana.
Georgia’s 3 Fail Pile-up
Let’s take Georgia for example. Georgia’s attempt at legalizing CBD makes a great example because it failed on so many levels. In fact, it failed on enough levels for me to justify creating a numbered list.
- Senator Renee Unterman attached an unrelated amendment which would require insurance companies to pay for autism treatments. She basically attached a really unpopular law to another bill which was almost guaranteed to pass.
- Even if it would have passed, the logistics were all messed up. Where did the logistics start to get so fail? From the beginning. Representative Allen Peake had very good intentions; however, he lacked basic knowledge of cannabis laws and logistics. The bill did not include a law that would allow production of CBD medication legal. So, you can’t make it here, but you can use it here. Combine this with the next point and you’ve got the perfect fail storm.
- The last fail is on the federal level. None of Georgia’s surrounding states have legalized CBD. If you went to Colorado to stock up on medication to stop your kid’s seizures, you would be violating federal drug smuggling laws in order to get them back home. If you can’t produce cannabidiol in the state of Georgia, and you can’t transport it to the state of Georgia, then it doesn’t matter if a vote passes or not.
Georgia isn’t the only state. Florida recently failed an attempt at legalizing marijuana. Here’s the crazy part – 58% voted to legalize. The problem? Florida required 60% to qualify.
Do you see the problem here? It’s not public opinion that is standing in the way. The problem is that lawmakers haven’t had their act together about marijuana for what will soon be a century.
The Silver Lining
There is a bright side. There are parts of the country that are legalizing both medical and recreational marijuana. For the most part, the Federal government has allowed it to continue. I think more areas will legalize medical cannabis use. Hopefully, this will prompt more people to educate themselves about Cannabidiol.
Not everyone is fail, and that make me happy. What makes you happy?
you can overdose on cbd edibles so you should change that in your post
Do you have a source for this? I couldn’t find anything, but I’ll keep looking around.
How exactly can you overdose on CBD? Research suggests you can’t even overdose on THC… you may need to check your sources 🙂 There are people taking 500mg doses of CBD to treat anxiety and 1,000mg doses to treat chronic pain and other ailments… this is helping heal, maybe with a healthy overdose of negative (healing) ions 😛