To smoke or not to smoke? That is the resin. Many don’t like to admit it, but almost every pot smoker has smoked weed resin before. You know the deal. Your dude is out of bud (or you’re out of money), and you’re super bored, so you finally decide to break down a smoke some resin. It’s okay. We’ve all been there, but have you ever thought about what exactly resin is and what it does to you? Let’s break it down.
Does Resin Contain THC / Get You High?
Resin contains much less THC than actual buds. Much of the THC will combust when you light the herb. With that said, I know from personal experience that it will get you high. But, it’s going to take a lot more resin to get the same high as the real stuff. So yes, it is possible to feel high after smoking weed resin.
I do wonder how much of the high feeling is attributed to THC, as opposed to a lightheadedness from asphyxiation. That is, if you’re breathing in tar instead of oxygen for long enough it will make you feel ‘different’. That’s for sure.
I wouldn’t get too excited about resin just yet. Consider a few more points before you spark some up.
Is Smoking Resin Bad for You?
In short? Yes. Resin is bad for your health.
Smoking in general is bad for your respiratory system. I don’t know anyone who would argue that statement. Resin; however, can be far more harmful than your typical buds. Let’s talk about what it consists of. It’s mostly tar. Yep, tar. There is also ash and carbon mixed in there. Smoking tar is bad for you. No doubt about it. If anyone thinks smoking tar is harmless, please leave a comment below.
This doesn’t mean that occasionally smoking resin is going to cause some major problem. All I’m trying to say is smoking resin over time will most likely cause greater problems than smoking bud over the same amount of time.
How do You Scrape Pipe Resin?
You scrape pipe resin by any means necessary. Each pipe is slightly different so sometimes you have to get creative. Please note, this is going to get messy. Avoid contact with skin and clothes as much as possible. For real, resin is a royal pain to clean. Here are a few tools that will come in handy when scraping the resin from your bowl.
- Bobby Pin or Paperclip – You’re going to need something that you can bend into shape. This will let you scrape around curves with the greatest of ease.
- Lighter – try dry hitting the piece a few times. This will warm up the resin and make it easier to scrape.
Wax PaperParchment Paper – This may be a bit overkill, but it is nice to have a disposable non-stick surface when you need somewhere to put your resin. (shout out to the commenter who helped me correct this.)
- Smoker’s Multi-tool– You can pick up a little smoker’s multi tool which is great for scraping out bowls. This isn’t necessary, but they’re pretty cool to have around.
Only scrape glass or hard metal pipes. Plastic pipes break down over time. You will inevitably end up smoking bits of plastic. Smoking plastic is bad mmmmk.
You can also boil a pipe to get the resin out, but I’m not a huge fan of this method. It stinks up the house. It also saturates the resin so you have to wait for it to dry. This method will work though.
What is the Best Way to Smoke Resin?
Okay, you accept that resin is bad for you and doesn’t contain much thc, but you want to smoke some anyways. I’m not here to judge. Here are a few recommendations for lighting up some resin.
- Joint – Not a great method. Resin burns much slower than bud. It is also compact, so air can’t flow properly through the joint. You could manage to get a bit of smoke, but all in all, it’s not going to go very well. All of this goes for blunts as well.
- Vaporizer – I wouldn’t try this method either. Getting the taste of resin out of your vaporizer would be a nightmare. Resin burns at a higher temperature than THC so you have to crank up the heat. It may work a bit, but is it really worth ruining a vaporizer over?
- Pipe – This is the method of choice! Bonus points if you use something with water filtration like a bubbler or bong. This will cut down on the harshness of the smoke. You can mold and roll your resin into a ball and smoke away. If your bowl has a lot of resin build up you can simply dry hit the bowl without ever having to scrape anything. Just act like there is weed in the bowl and smoke it as usual. You can also try lighting it from the carb to get to some hidden pockets of resin nastiness.
- Tea – Some people have claimed to have made a resin tea that got them really high. They also talk about wanting to throw up for about ten minutes. For this reason, I have never tried to make resin tea, and would not recommend it to anyone. It’s just gross in my opinion.
I could never endorse resin. It’s unhealthy, tastes and smells gross, and contains very small amounts of THC. Personally, I would just wait until I could get my hands on the real deal, but like I’ve said all along – no judgments here.
What do you think about resin? Let me know in the comment section below.
If you enjoyed this article then here’s a few others you might like: